Miami University has world class gaming resources provided through classrooms, labs, and the distinct support of the Miami University library. The Miami University Libraries put together the following resource to highlight library resources including the well-stocked game lab and a solid collection of media and periodicals for games research. This list includes game systems available for student use and game titles available.
Any student taking a games course has access to appropriate materials for the course. Generally any student with a major or minor in interactive media studies or games will have full access to all classrooms and labs. Some resources are restricted for use. Some equipment also requires faculty-supervised training before a student can use it.
The following rooms and labs specifically cater to our games students:
27 King Library Games Lab
- Shared with ULB
- This classroom/lab is used for our IMS 201 and Game classes. It has 25 dual boot iMac workstations with dual monitors and two screens with a 3D-capable projector.
- The room is accessible 24/7 to IMS students.
- More detailed information about 27 King on the IMS website
- More detailed information about 27 King on the Miami Libraries website
(Includes full list of games)
214 McGuffey Hall Engaging Technology Lab
- Owned by EHS
- This lab has a number of high-end development worksuites, projection walls, smartboards, Oculus Rifts (DK2s), Wacom Cintiqs, paper prototyping kits, MIDI controllers, mobile devices, etc.
201 Laws Hall Visualization Lab
- This lab has a 4-walled, virtual reality CAVE, a Z‑space 3D table, an iBox 3D viz, 3D scanners, 6 Occulus Rifts (DK1+2), Hydras, LEAP motions, and a complete motion capture suit.
- More detailed information about the Visualization Center
8 Benton Game Development Classroom
- Owned by SEAS
- This classroom/lab is used XBOX 360 development. It has 25 Windows 7 computers each with an XBOX 360 and XNA development tools.
9 Benton Armstrong Videoconferencing Classroom
- Shared with CSA
- This classroom is used for distance-based interaction with clients, guest lecturers, faculty, and students. The room has a multi-camera, multi-screen tandberg videoconferencing system that allows the entire classroom to participate. It also had dual projection on the front and back of the room and business-style furnishings for a professional sense.
- More detailed information about Room 9 Benton
200 Hiestand Digital Art and Design Classroom
- Shared with ART
- This classroom is used for AIMS digital design classes. It has 22 dual boot iMac desktops, 3 PCs, and collaboration space.
- More detailed information about Room 200 Hiestand
Phillips Hall Huge Immersive Virtual Environment (HIVE)
- Owned by PSY/CSE
- Housed in the gymnasium of Phillips Hall, this is the largest virtual environment in the world. This head-mounted virtual space is used for graduate and faculty research.
- More detailed information about HIVE in Phillips Hall
Phillips Hall Motion Capture Lab
- Shared with KNH
- This fixed motion capture lab has Vicon hardware and software for motion capture, biomechanics, and Blade animation software.
- We also have access to a motion capture spandex suit that can capture motion at any location.
- More detailed information about the Motion Capture Lab in Phillips Hall
2040 Farmer School of Business Armstrong 3D Visualization Classroom
- This classroom/lab contains a 16′ x 9′ visualization wall with HD active stereoscopic 3D.
- More detailed information about 2040 FSB
2034 Farmer School of Business Center for Research in Usability Human Subjects Lab
- Shared with Marketing
- This lab contains two eye-tracking monitors and a 42″ HP multitouch display. The lab space is used to conduct human subjects research in game usability and experience.